Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ice Breaker Reflection and Prayer Request

Last night I received a text from a very close friend (Gina Espinoza) in California.  She asked that I remember her father Louie in prayer as he was at the hospital suffering from issues with congestive heart failure; please pray for Louie, Gina and their family as they journey through this most challenging time.  Should you wish to send words of encouragement, Gina's email is gina@whatmakesyousmile.com

In 1991 I had the privilege of hiring Gina into a role she had never before performed based solely on her past track record of success and absolutely intoxicating positive attitude and personality.  She did so well she was promoted multiple times, and I have since had the pleasure of working with Gina in other endeavors with unparalleled relational and business success.

My family and I connected closely on a personal basis with Gina and her husband, and in 1992 was privileged to sit bedside with Gina and her family as her grandfather lay in a hospital bed drawing what we all thought were his last breaths.  Our mutual friend Joel was there as well - he played guitar as we all sang Amazing Grace bedside.  There were many tears of joy and pain, but that heartfelt union of spirits created an unbreakable bond that lasts to this very day.  Though I have never seen any but Gina and her husband since, I have learned that they speak of Joel and I often, and the joy and blessing we brought to that hospital room that day.  Gina's grandfather was graciously blessed with another year of life. 

Gina is my sister.  Joel is my brother.  I love them both and would do anything for either of them, anytime anywhere.  So, as I pondered these thoughts and memories, it dawns on me, this is exactly what communitas is.  It is exactly the since of relational value and perspective that God calls us all to, for all of time. 

Thank you all for choosing to be on this journey of communitas at this point, this place and this time. I hope that I can someday be for each of you, what Gina and Joel are for me. 

Yours in Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is a great example of communitas! We will pray...

    ReplyDelete